Why shop local?
Investing in your own town
• Spend $100 locally and $68 to $80 of that stays in our community – supporting social services, schools, your public library and local non-profits. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and our community only sees $43.
• Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
• More of your taxes are reinvested in your community.
• Local businesses buy local services. They hire local architects, builders, sign makers, accountants, insurance brokers, computer consultants, attorneys and others.
• Local retailers and distributors carry a higher percentage of locally-made goods than the chains, creating more jobs for local producers.
• Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
• Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
• Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
• Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
• More independents mean more choice,
Of course no one expects you to be 100% local, but by visiting the Lex Is More website and signing up for Lex Is More emails, you’ll discover that Lexington has a lot to offer. And you’ll save money and have fun doing it. Sign up today?